Essentials of computing I
All Winter Break
General material you
- Introduction to the class
- Go over course syllabus
What to do on the 1st day of Class:
- Log-in to D2L, open the course. Nothing else in D2L
- Look over the syllabus. (link above) E-mail me if you have any questions or concerns. Ignore anything that seems like it relates to a face-to-face class.
- Log-in to MyItLab using your code,
- choose 'Exploring Microsoft Office 2010'
- our course code: CRSABCZ-242546
Other Topics to discuss:
- The Edinboro computing
- Why do I want/need to
connect to the EUP network?
- What do I need and how do I
connect to the EUP network?
- Should I use the e-mail EUP
provided or my other on-line e-mail account?
- How do I check my EUP
- Where can I go to use a
computer?, What's software is on them?
Tech and Comm website
- Tech & Comm published “Technology
We will use the MyIT Lab on-line assignments. You will need to purchase a code for the course!! You can get these at the bookstore or on-line through myitlab.
During the install you'll need the course code for our course:
The MyITLab Course code is:
Video Introduction to myitlab
Some common links:
My web page
Begin Working with Microsoft Word:
MS Word Exam
- December 27th
→ Check here for a sample Exam
Discount on MS Office 2010 for Students
Talk about what Microsoft Word is and what it is used for.
I want to remind students about the use
of Ctrl X, C, & V.
These are Cut, Copy & Paste respectively. You may find this method of
Cut & Paste much faster and easier.
Dec.24th → 26th
Dec. 28 →
Excel exam: know how to use functions such
as average, sum, if, vlookup, pmt, etc. Also how to
format the spreadsheet, using currency, wrap text, colors, bold.
Adding Charts. You'll e-mail me your solution.
Know the "IF"; VLOOKUP, PMT functions to name a few. Also some simple math, as in the
percent increase or decrease. Simple multiply, weighted average.
Sample Exam - Download from the link on the left.
Solution in the image below ▼
Sample Exam Instructions:
- In F4 write a formula to computer the test average, Copy down.
- In H4 you are to write a formula that gives a bonus or penalty based on the number of homeworks they did. Each student is supposed to do 12 (E19). For each missing you take 2 points(E20) off. For each extra you add 1 point (E21). This determines their bonus or penalty if they have one at all.
- Then take that number and add it to their test average to get the semester average.
- Then use a HLOOKUP (Same as VLOOKUP but Horizontal in stead of Vertical) to determine their letter grade based on the grading criteria table.
- Format it close to what is shown.
- Practice making some Pie and column charts also.
Video of the solution (Please don't look at this until you given the sample exam and honest effort!)
Jan 11, 14, 15
To make a web page you do the following:
- Create your web pages (You'll probably use MS Word)
- You will Save as 'web page'
- Upload the pages to the EUP web server using an FTP (file transfer protocol) client
- Test it to make sure it works.
- The sample URL will be: http:\\users.edinboro.edu\d123456t\
You can check this page to for working from home -> A
link to Tech & Comm.'s explanation on how to edit your page from home.
1st Video - This video shows you how to make a very simple web page using MS Word. Before that I show how to connect to the EUP web server using Windows Explorer with drag-and-drop. Please ignore the 30 sec. spot where I'm looking for something.
2nd Video - This video shows how to make a background color and create word art. It also shows how to create a 2nd page and make a hyper-link from your 1st (home) page to open your 2nd page. I also make a link from your new 2nd page back to your home page.
3rd Video - In this video I talk about how to add a time-stamp to show when your web page was last updated. I also show how to ad an e-mail link and using a table to align your text and images to it looks good when you open it up on the Internet. There is often a significant difference between how your web page looks in Word and how it looks on the Internet. In this video I run into an error where I ran out of web server space. You shouldn't have this issue. I had to delte some images from my web page and re-copy it to the web server.
Page Assignment - e-mail the URL to me
Check out the Web Page FAQs
Jan 16, 17, 18
The MyITLab Homework due on 21st
on-line help check out the
Jan 21, 22, 23
- The PC hardware environment
- The Windows operating system and
- Overview of Computer
- Internals of a
- Operating Systems
- Computer Literacy
Assignment 1:Using Windows Explorer - show me a good
directory structure of your flash drive for this semester. This will
include directories for each course, topics, and assignments.
Video demonstration on making folders
- On the root of your flash drive
make a folder for each course you are currently taking
- Within the folder for this
class, make folders for:
- Concepts Homework
- MS Word
- MS Power-point
- MS Excel
- Put the homework file you made
for the purchase of a laptop in the concepts homework folder.
- Within the MS Word folder make
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 4
- Do a print screen of your
directory structure showing the folders, paste it into MS Word, print and turn in
Assignment 2: PC Purchase.
Do some research on the internet to answer these questions:
- What type of software packages need fast computers?
- Give some exampes of your answer to #1
- What are the advantages to a desktop computer over a laptop computer?
- What are the advantages of a laptop over a desktop?
- Computer that have intel i5 and i7 processors cost more than ones that have an Intel Celeron processor. why is that? When would you want to make the investment in a nicer processor?
- When would you want to spend extra money on a large Hard Drive?
- If you save and get a smaller hard drive, is there an alternative for later?
- What is another operating systems alternative to any of the MS Windows versions?
- What is the advantages of your selection in #8 over windows?
- What is the advantage of a Windows based machine over a Mac?
- What is the advantage of a Mac over a Windows based machine?
- Create a MS Word document with the questions and answers. Place your solution in the D2L drop box.
Simulate purchasing a Computer:
- You have $700 to buy a laptop,
go to www.HP.com and customize a laptop for
this price or less. Using MS Word give a short, 1 paragaraph, reason why you
chose the processor, RAM size, Hard-drive size and if you chose and any other special options.
- Take a screen shot of your chosen comptuer's listing from the web site and paste it into the word document.
- Place your answer in the appropriate D2L dropbox
your computer system worksheet - Not Assigned
Notes on Concepts
Make 3 Documents:
Final Exam -
Comprehensive, hands-on, based on Word, Excel & Power-point
Notes about the Final
Check your grades in MYITLab → Custom View !!!!
How your final grade is determined:
(Grades→Custom view in your My ITlab account)
|Word Exam 12.5%
Excel Exam 12.5%
Final Exam 15%
Concepts Exam 5%
Web Site 5%
Homework 50% of final grade:
(just add your score and divide by the total amount)
Graders → 10 X 20pts
Hands-on → 7 X 10 pts
Directory → 10pts
PC Purchase → 10pts
Total = 350 possible points (50% of your grade)
|MS Word Exam
All MS Word
Homework on MyITLab is due that day.
|MS Excel Exam
All MS Excel Homework on MyITLab is due
Web Page Due
All Power-point Homework on MyITLab is due that day
Assignment 1 & 2 are due